Experienced Senior-Level Writer and Editor with Excellent Communication Skills
Detail-oriented writer and editor with proven skills to support a range of writing, editing, marketing, and proposal projects. My experience includes technical writing, book and magazine publishing, social media planning and development, blogging, nonprofit strategic planning and marketing, grant and proposal writing, corporate communications and outreach, and marketing communications planning and development.
- Published writer, editor, blogger, and book author
- Over 20 years of writing experience supporting corporations, nonprofits, and small businesses
- Reputation as easy to work with and effective at working with diverse teams
- Excellent writing and editing skills supporting a wide range of projects
- Skilled at working with large corporate teams to plan marketing materials, trade show booths, proposals, websites, white papers, technical documentation, and social media
- Experience working with magazine editors and publishers to create outstanding content
- Ability to work with nonprofit organizations to coordinate marketing materials, grant applications, and outreach materials
Marketing & Article Writing Experience:
- Design, write, and produce marketing literature, video scripts, email blasts, newsletters, magazine articles, white papers, web pages, press releases, direct mail campaigns, proposals, and other materials
- Create and maintain social media sites, including Facebook, Twitter, MySpace, LinkedIn, Instagram, Google+, YouTube, and Flickr
- Develop consistent branding and implement throughout all marketing literature, web design, trade show materials, and other business collateral
- Coordinate all aspects of trade shows, including designing booths, creating marketing materials, scheduling personnel, and writing talking points
- Design web pages and code the entire navigation structure, plus create text and graphics for entire web sites
- Design and produce computer-based training exercises
- Expert interviewing skills
- Experience creating YouTube videos and outstanding audio recordings
Technical Writing Experience:
- Research, design, write, and edit technical documents, including reference guides, user guides, training tutorials, overview documents, getting started guides, and technical reports
- Experience creating multi-volume documentation sets
- Research, write, and edit federal and state proposals
- Design and produce context-sensitive online help systems in RoboHelp, MadCap, and proprietary online help software
- Design and produce computer-based training exercises
- Participate in the entire life-cycle of a project including preparing schedules, writing project plans, researching, writing, editing, printing, and designing online help systems
- Design and create graphics in a wide variety of formats
- Familiar with process improvement tools and government documentation standards
- Quickly learn and understand complex concepts and technologies
- Communicate in a clear and creative way about a wide range of topics (technical, scientific, environmental, etc.) that can be dry
- Effectively manage multiple projects at the same time
- Communicate clearly and efficiently with both technical and non-technical staff and customers
- Experience writing about hardware and software for a variety of industries: telecommunications, architectural design, civil engineering, design visualization, and computer simulation
- Highly proficient with many different writing and graphics tools: InDesign, Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe Creative Suite, Adobe Acrobat, SGML, HTML, XML, RoboHelp, Dreamweaver, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, Authorware, WordPress CMS, plus many others
- Familiar with a variety of process management tools, including Visual Source Safe and SharePoint
- Design, code, implement, and test webpages using a variety of tools including content management systems; understand background HTML/CSS coding
I have over 20 years of writing, editing, and consulting experience developing a wide range of technical documentation, Government proposals, and websites. I currently work with authors and small businesses to help create, edit, and design books, marketing literature, and other materials. Here are some of the companies I’ve worked with over the past 20 years:
Qualis Corporation: I worked as a communications specialist and developed corporate branding, designed and maintained the corporate website, created ads, wrote press releases, produced the employee newsletter, wrote emails blasts to employees, designed HR materials, wrote corporate leadership profiles, coordinated trade shows, and designed all corporate marketing collateral. I worked with chambers of commerce to promote the company, coordinated special events, and participated in business development activities. I supported a wide range of proposal work, including market research, writing, editing, and coordinating with teammates. I also supported a NASA contract at Marshall Space Flight Center and wrote operational work instructions for NASA’s Environmental Gas Lab and the Materials Combustion Research Facility. These documents explained every step in testing different materials schedule to be used on different spacecraft, including how to get ready to perform tests, safety procedures to ensure the safety of test personnel (and the test facilities), how to actually perform the tests, and how to report test results. I currently create and write the Qualis employee newsletter and create ads.
Alabama/Georgia Land Trusts: I worked with this nonprofit organization to create a print newsletter to send to members and supporters.
Defense Strategies: I wrote and edited proposals, conducted market research, created marketing materials, and prepared PowerPoint presentations.
National Association of Professional Organizers–Georgia: I worked with this nonprofit organization to design and write an effective marketing plan to help the organization grow. I worked with the board members to determine their goals, strengths, weaknesses, and opportunities and wrote a comprehensive marketing plan that they could use to help their group grow.
MSBA Analytics: I supported a large proposal project for this company. I helped get the team ready for the proposal process, helped gather background information for the proposal, and helped write and review sections. I helped review the entire proposal and ensure all sections and text conformed to requirements in the RFP.
Intergraph Corporation: I wrote reference guides, tutorials, getting started documentation, marketing materials, and context sensitive online help for a wide range of software products. I worked on projects for the following corporate divisions:
- Architecture/Engineering/Construction (AEC): I wrote reference guides, user tutorials, installation guides, and online help for a variety of products, including sophisticated civil engineering applications. The products I worked with include Project Architect, Project Layout, InRoads, SiteWorks and InWater.
- Design visualization: I wrote user documentation, marketing literature, and training materials for the ModelView software (a CAD tool for 3D rendering and animation).
- Government contracts: I wrote user documentation, training guides, instructor guides, student guides, and interactive multimedia training exercises (designed with Authorware) for the United States Air Force DMAPS accounting project.
AEgis Technologies Group: I wrote user manuals, marketing literature, context-sensitive online help, and marketing materials for the following products: OMDT Pro, FedDirector, FedProxy, OMni, ACSL Math, ACSL C-Code, ACSL Optimize, and ACSL Realtime. All of these products support high-level architecture for modeling and simulation work. In addition, I worked with graphic designers to create packaging for the software products and created consistent branding for the company.
Engenius Consulting Group: I wrote software specifications, user guides, training materials, and online help for the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers software supporting the Theater Construction Management System. I worked closely with software developers to develop the software specifications and then coordinated with the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers staff to finalize all of the documents.
Adtran. I wrote user manuals and configuration guides for a variety of Adtran telecommunications hardware products, including the TSU, ISU ISDN, ATLAS,and NetVanta product lines. I wrote the installation guide and designed context-sensitive online help for the T-Watch and n-Command remote management software applications. I also worked on the AOS Command Reference Guide that documents an extensive “command line interface” for telecom hardware. I designed FrameMaker templates that allowed my writing group to generate nine different manuals from 2,000 pages of source files.
Thought Studios. I worked with the small company Thought Studios to design and write an online help file for the Bravo! imaging software. The help file contains a quick start guide, a detailed overview of the interface, and a complete reference guide to the different menu options.
PESA Switching Systems. I wrote user manuals and installation guides for a variety of video switching systems for broadcasting applications, including the Cheetah and Cougar product lines and associated parts. I also designed online help for the 3500Pro software.
Telcordia Technologies. I wrote portions of the database administrator’s guide, the user manual and context-sensitive online help file for Network Engineer, an ESRI GIS-based system for working with complex communications networks.
I volunteer for several organizations as a marketing specialist. Here are a few of my current and past volunteer positions:
- Southeastern Cave Conservancy, Inc.: I served on the board of directors for five years and chaired the marketing and outreach committee. I designed and coded the organization’s webpage. I created and manage the group’s social media sites, including Facebook (over 2,000 fans) and Flickr. I write web content, press releases, email blasts, newsletters, and grant proposals.
- Hi-Noon Toastmasters: I served as the marketing VP for the club
- Huntsville Gem and Mineral Society: I served as the club marketing coordinator. I created and maintain the club’s webpage and coordinate all marketing and outreach activities for our large annual gem show.
- Alabama Bat Working Group: I served as the communications chair from 2009 to 2013. I designed the group’s free blog, wrote blog posts, and conducted public outreach.
My work has appeared in a variety of national publications, including Fine Gardening, Erosion Control, Pet Age, Kentucky Living, E! the Environmental Magazine, the NSS News, and more. I recently finished my first book and coordinated the entire design, production, and printing process.
B.A. University of Alabama in Huntsville
Major: History Minor: Technical Writing
Completed extensive coursework in biological sciences between 2006 and 2008.
References and writing samples available upon request.